Civil movement

Ekiti 2022: Police announce movement restriction, as Oni and CDD warn against rigging


…..NSCDC deploys 9,747 agents

Victor Ogunje in Teen Ekiti
For the smooth running of Saturday’s gubernatorial election in Ekiti State, Inspector General of Police Mr. Usman Alkali Baba has ordered the restriction of vehicle movements along entry points and exit from Ekiti from 12:00 p.m. on June 18, 2022 to 6:00 a.m. on the same day.

The Police Chief said this in a statement, to Ado Ekiti, on Friday, by Police Public Relations Officer, Ekiti Command, DSP Sunday Abutu.

“In view of the upcoming gubernatorial election in Ekiti State scheduled for June 18, 2022, IGP Baba through the Deputy Inspector General of Police, CID Force and DIG Coordination for South West, Babatunde Kokunmo wishes to inform the right people in Ekiti State that the Police have mobilized all necessary means in partnership with other security agencies to provide adequate security and guarantee free, fair and credible elections. “To this end, officers from the Nigerian Police and Army along with other security agencies have been deployed across state borders to enforce the restraining order against them and ensure that criminal-minded individuals do not infiltrate the state”.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps announced on Friday that it will deploy 9,747 personnel drawn from the FCT, Lagos, Ondo, Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Kogi, Kwara and Edo commands to provide security during the election of the governor of Ekiti on Saturday.

Of this number, 160 female armed squads would also be deployed to ensure resistance to all forms of violence, intimidation and abuse against women involved in the political process.

Addressing the NSCDC Headquarters staff of Ekiti State Command in Ado Ekiti before they travel to their respective deployment locations, Acting Deputy Commander General Operations Lawal Haruna also revealed that some hotspots had already been identified.

However, the gubernatorial candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Engr. Segun Oni, said on Friday that some desperate politicians were already violating the peace accord signed before the National Peace Commission headed by General Abdudalami Abubakar.

Rather than adhering to the principles of democracy in the conduct of the June 18 elections in Ekiti, Oni said those he described as “oppressors” would have dehumanized and demobilized his supporters through unlawful arrests.

Oni, who spoke to reporters in Ado Ekiti on Friday, alerted the CENI, the international community, security agencies, observers and other stakeholders that “for this election to be acceptable, the REC must stamp and sign all EC8A, EC8B, EC8C and EC8D forms and not by another agent or staff. Once the REC is stamped and signed, no one will be able to smuggle in any form of false results.”

On the imperative of peace for the elections to be successful, Oni said, “I will stick to the peace agreement. But when you kidnap people, it makes any peace document invalid. Tell them not to set this state on fire.
“Those who went to kidnap my followers should be called to order now. They test the people’s patience and tolerance. They shouldn’t set this state on fire. If someone commits an offense and thinks it is up to the authorities to go around and arrest people at night, then the peace accord is immediately broken.”

Furthermore, the Center for Democracy and Development (CDD) has described the spread of false and unsubstantiated news as the main threat to the success of Saturday’s gubernatorial election in Ekiti.
The civil society body called on the federal government, particularly the Independent National Electoral Commission and security agencies, to start cracking down on fake news peddlers to protect the integrity of the electoral process in the country.
CDD director Idayat Hassan said this during a pre-election press conference held in Ado Ekiti on Friday.